Y’all I love this tutorial! I’m going to go ahead and do a little caveat though-originally there were two (mugs that is). But I learned a hard craft lesson and now there is only one. I’ll fix it later I promise. And I’ll explain where I went wrong so you can avoid my same error. So in this tutorial we’ll learn how to jazz up some plain coffee mugs (or really any piece of ceramic or porcelain you’ve got layin’ around). I grabbed two clearance porcelain mugs from Target’s Threshold collection-love the all white. However since we did this tutorial I decided I wanted to bronze the plain coffee mugs I had bought. Here’s the beginning.
See how there are two in the beginning? Sad face. I swear I’ll update that later when I have time to fix my craft error For the rest of this tutorial you’ll really only see one mug….
Here’s what you’ll need for this project:
- Whatever mugs you want
- Metallic spray paint
- Blue painters tape
- Clear Enamel/Sealer
- Mini Scraper
When Salem arrived to work yesterday I said “hey do you want to tape off the mugs so we can paint them tomorrow?!” and I got this face.
But she did it anyways cuz she loves me And she’s way better at this sort of thing than I am.
We measured but I don’t think it was even totally necessary to place the tape that way.
Salem taped all the way down on the inside of each cup as well to ensure no spray paint got in there. She spent SOOOO long on that chevron and I felt terrible once I ruined it. I’ve already pinky promised and swore up and down I’d fix it for her. Once that taping was done I gave the mugs a few quick coats outside and set them in the sun to dry.
So here’s where I made a mistake y’all. I went ahead and sprayed both mugs at once and that was bad news bears. If I were to do it again (which I’ll have to do), I’d spray each mug one at a time. You ideally only want the spray paint to dry until its dry to the touch, then remove the tape carefully. If you wait and let the tape sit too long it’ll rip off the spray paint. That’s what happened to mug number two. I didn’t even photograph it because I was so sad. But at least my first mug came out OK!
I love that color! I wasn’t over worried about the inaccuracy of the paint line because I had my nifty mini scraper to tighten up that line. Super easy y’all!
Once I had removed all the tape I gave the bottom painted portion of the mug a good spray with my clear enamel. I was happy with the paint line so it was time to clear coat that baby! Here are a couple of final views. Can’t wait to use this mug for coffee in the office once we move!
Enjoy y’all! If you attempt something similar we’d love to see it! I’d love also to get an orange mug and turn it into a pumpkin, although that will seriously require some skills with the tape so I’m not sure…..;0)