Its officially barbeque’ing season y’all! Its my favorite season. When spring and summer roll around I breathe a breath of fresh air. I never really realize how OVER winter I am until its really gone. Today I’m sharing a four-ingredient recipe for the yummiest onion rings on the planet.
OK guys here’s what you’ll need:
- sweet yellow onion (2 if you have 4 or more people)
- veggie oil for frying
OK that’s REALLY it!
First you’ll slice your onions REAL thin like so:
Next throw them in a bowl with 1 and a quarter cups of buttermilk. Let it coat the onions and just leave them to sit for a little bit while you prep everything else.
In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly to incorporate. Next in a frying-safe skillet place about 3″ deep worth of vegetable oil. Go ahead and begin heating that. We used a cooking thermometer to tell us when the oil had reached about 350 degrees.
Once your oil is ready you’ll work in quick batches coating your onions with the cornmeal mix and then placing them in the frying oil. I wait til they’re golden brown and then set them on a paper towel to soak up the extra oil. I do notice throwing the onions in tends to suck some of the heat out of the oil. So when you’re about to put your first batch in just jack the heat up a little bit extra so it stays around 350!
Once you’ve worked through your onions you are ready to serve! Y’all it couldn’t hardly be any easier!
- 2 small sweet yellow onions
- 1.25 cups cornmeal
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- vegetable oil for frying
- Slice onions very finely and place in a bowl
- Coat onions with the buttermilk and let sit
- Add the cornmeal and a healthy dash of salt and pepper in a separate bowl
- Begin heating about 3" of veggie oil in a frying-safe pot until about 350 degrees
- Once your oil has reached 350 begin coating your onions with the cornmeal mix and throwing them in the oil
- Cook until golden brown
- Set aside on a paper towel to soak up extra moisture
- SERVE warm and enjoy!